Thursday, July 23, 2015

A Message from the Past, a Prophecy of the Future

     This video is something I made to officially explain to my students that I would not be returning to teaching in the 2013 school year.  It seemed like all of the kids (and everyone on staff) were hoping, wondering, and worrying, so I made this and had my substitute show it to all of my classes.  I didn't write down any notes, just turned on my webcam and spoke.  

     I re-watched it for the first time the other day, and was shocked that I didn't cry during the nearly ten minute talk-- and I hardly rambled at all!  If you don't have that much time to spare, fast forward to 6:45, where I lay down some remarkably prophetic views of the future, provide 3/4 of the name of the speech I would later give almost exactly two years later, and lay down some truths that are more vivid now than I ever could have imagined.  
     I chose today to share this video because summer school ends today, and it may be my last day as a classroom teacher.  I am still awaiting a few pieces of the "Can I return to teaching part time or not at all," puzzle to fall into place, but regardless of that outcome, I feel confident that my life will always center around connecting with others and "teaching" in some form or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment